Monday, March 2, 2009

New Jersey Mini-Tour

Last week the Field Band went on a four day trip to New Jersey. These performances were technically our first leg of Spring Tour, but we were able to return to Ft. Meade for a week and a half before we head off on the long stretch this Thursday. 

Our concert on February 19th in Medford, NJ marked the first time I had the opportunity to perform in front of the Concert Band as a soloist. Technically I was part of a duet, as you can see from the picture. My section-mate, SFC Chris Sarangoulis, and I performed "The Fantastic Fast-Fingered Fandango" by Bruce Fraser. It was thrilling, albeit a tad nerve-wracking, to stand out front with such an amazing band playing with us. What a dream come true. Sometimes I still can't believe that this is my job and that I have incredible opportunities like this! This photograph was taken by Rob McIver. 


We had some time to explore so I went to New York City! I had never been to NYC before and it really is overwhelming. So much to see and do. I didn't get a lot of pictures because my camera died. Some of the fun things I got to see were Madame Toussad's Wax Museum, Central Park, Natural History Museum, Times Square, and, of course, the always fun New Jersey Transit train. 



We had a particularly good docent at the Natural History Museum and I learned all kinds of interesting things about Neanderthal. 


Here is my friend Tim and I at a comedy club where we caught an early evening improvised troop act. It was hilarious and a great time 



Since we returned from NJ I've been packing up for the big tour, practicing, and surviving the cold. 
Today it snowed so much that the base was closed and we had to stay in from work. My friends and I decided to have some fun playing around in the powdery stuff. It is still pretty foreign to me. We leave for New York on Thursday. I'll be blogging from the road and will remember to keep my camera charged! 

No comments: