Sunday, March 15, 2009

Providence, RI

The band enjoyed an extended stay in Providence, Rhode Island for the past few days. It certainly was nice to be rooted in one spot for a time, and the city was fabulous. No shortage of great pubs! 

We were performing as part of the National Association for Music Education Convention. The concert went well and I was able to meet some great people. Here I am posing with a totally jammin' tuba-euph quartet that was doing a little musical panhandling outside of the hotel. These guys rocked out Spinning Wheel. I have a special place in my heart for bringing tuba-euph to the streets. Definitely been there! 


We had our first Maintenance Day on Sunday and I was able to get down to Boston to catch some of the St. Patrick's Day Parade! Of course there were tons of bagpipers and other traditional Irish groups. I also loved the big VFW presence, I yelled lots of HOOAHs throughout the day. 

It is many a low-brass player's dream to see a giant pint of Guinness roll down the street, and I was able to catch up to it for a little photo op. 




The parade also featured several small groups that had tuba players. This guy was probably my favorite. It was a great day and definitely got me in the mood for St. Pats!

No comments: