Friday, June 6, 2008

MEPS

Thursday I spent several hours in this place, the Denton Army Recruiting Station. Soooo much waiting around it's ridiculous, and it never ends up being for reasons that you can understand or make sense so that you sort of feel better. It is always for nothing, haha. Wasting time for wasting time's sake. 



They had this brochure in the Army office, and I thought it was funny because recently I had been discussing with somebody that if I end up eventually getting a tattoo, I might get a music note filled in with camo. So there is a preview I guess! I was thinking more of an 8th note though. Definitely no treble clef- I'm not British! 



Here I am in my MEPS hotel room. My roommate was nice, but liked to share... a lot. 


We woke up at 4am and were shuttled over to the MEPS building from the hotel. A lady from the Red Cross had set up this nice cookie and coffee table, which was VERY nice because they won't let you sleep while you are there. 


I had a minor panic moment when they announced that we wouldn't be allowed to process if we were wearing open toed shoes. Of course all I brought were flip flops. I'm sure I knew this rule at some point, but I completely forgot today. Luckily the Air Force people keep a box of old tennis shoes and new socks for such occasions. The guy was really nice but made fun of me because my huge feet actually fit really well in the men's shoes. :) 


So after many hours of waiting I did my weigh in, got my contract in order, had fingerprints done, and officially swore in and joined the Army!! It was pretty exciting. The biggest news is that I got my official ship date for Basic Training. I will be leaving on June 16th for Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. 

#1. That is really soon!!! A week from Monday!
#2 Everyone kept telling me I would likely get Ft. Jackson, SC so I am surprised to go to the Wood. 

So that's the news for today. My big garage sale is tomorrow morning, so I will be up early haggling and relaxing. My friend Maura is driving up from College Station to hang out and help with things, so I'm really excited about that! Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

No comments: