Sunday, December 21, 2008

Chicago

It's always a good feeling, as your plane is landing, for the pilot to announce that it is 5 degrees outside! On Tuesday we landed in a cold and snowy Chicago for the Midwest Band and Orchestra Convention. 

Being invited to play at this event is a great honor 
and I was very excited about our concerts. Both were very well received and so much fun to play. Look at the huge crowd! The hall was packed for both performances. 

One special treat was having Colonel Gabriel, retired Commander of the US Air Force Band, lead us as a guest conducter. Colonel Gabriel is legendary. Two of my biggest mentors, Dr. Brian Bowman and Bob Daniel, were in his low brass section and I have grown up hearing about the amazing leadership of this man. I had the privilege of playing for him when I was sixteen years old at a band camp at Stephen F. Austin University in Texas. Being able to be under his baton once again was a pleasure.  

 Another great thing about being in Chicago was the chance to meet up with so many friends. Here I am with my ex-roommate, Jessica, one of my best friends from North Texas. I missed everyone so much, and was happy to be able to reconnect and visit.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms Veronie!! This is Matt Marxer, and I just saw your name as a guest conductor at the Houston Tuba Christmas. We are planning on seeing the Fort Worth one on Tuesday. Our marching band did very well, we placed 6th place at area competition in Odessa. I hope you are having lots of fun in the Army Band!!!

Matt