Tuesday, November 11, 2008

KANSAS

I know it has been a while since I've blogged. I definitely hit the mid-tour slump and things started kind of running together and I went into survival mode! :) We are getting close to coming home now and things are picking back up. Each day is still fun and brings its own adventures. Rather than blogging about each town, I'll just offer a few thoughts about our time in Kansas. 

We were definitely in the "Great Plains." This was a picture snapped from my bus seat. The view stayed like this for most of the state!


I think that Kansas has one of the coolest flags, (other than the Lone Star). It is hard to see in this picture, but it is very colorful and detailed. 





We played in a lot of small, rural Kansas communities. This is one gym that had a huge crowd. 





One of my favorite days was in Goodland, Kansas. I did laundry in this 100 yr+ laundromat that was so nostalgic and full of character. The downtown area was mostly closed but the group I was with managed to find a fantastic little diner called "Apple Jack's." They had this amazing smoked brisket and rice soup that I am definitely going to try to recreate sometime. 




One high school we played at had these signs all over the highway. TUSAFB is definitely always in the "Go Zone."









Here is another awesome gym crowd. It was a pretty packed house for how small of a town we were in! 



It was nice to see a part of the country that I was almost totally unfamiliar with. It is starting to get cold, I even had to break out my long down coat. I couldn't believe how windy some of our stops were. I miss my Texas pine trees- they do a good job breaking that cold wind!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Don't know what part of Kansas you drove through, but you must have slept through the Flint Hills (if you were on I-70, that is). The prettiest part of Kansas by far...the hills look like they were man-made...and one can't begin to fathom....they are neat to see, and even more glorious on the Konza Prairie. But once you leave the hills (which start just West of Topeka and mellow out around Salina) you are right...we are FLAT!

Lauren Veronie said...

Haha, it is entirely possible that I slept through the Flint Hills. I have to admit that napping on the bus is one of my frequent indulgences. Well, I will definitely look for them next time we are heading through Kansas in a few years!